- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon extract
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 7 tablespoons Butter
- Whisk the sugar, egg yolks, lemon juice, lemon extract, cornstarch and salt in a small saucepan over medium-low heat; cook, whisking occasionally, until the sugar dissolves
- Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until thick, about 10 minutes
- Whisk in the butter a few pieces at a time until melted, then strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl
- Press plastic wrap directly onto the surface and refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours
Lemon and strawberry cream cheese frosting:
Ingredients (double recipe if you desire to do lots of piping on top)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 stick butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar (depending on desired consistency)
- 1-3 TBL heavy cream (depending on desired consistency)
- 1-2 tsp lemon extract
- 1-2 tsp strawberry extract
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese, butter and lemon zest on medium-high speed until very light, creamy, and smooth.
- You can add more powdered sugar and cream depending on if you want the frosting thicker or thinner.
- Divide in half
- Make half lemon and the other strawberry by adding 1-2 tsp lemon extract and yellow food coloring (for lemon) and 1-2 tsp strawberry extract and pink food coloring (for strawberry)
- Taste the frosting after adding 1 tsp of the extract then add more depending on desired taste.
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry flavored Jell-O®
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 2 ¾ cups sifted cake flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup strawberry puree made from frozen sweetened strawberries
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 3 6 inch round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and dry strawberry gelatin until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Combine the flour and baking powder; stir into the batter alternately with the milk. Blend in vanilla,almond extract and strawberry puree. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a small knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool in their pans over a wire rack for at least 10 minutes, before tapping out to cool completely.
- Cake Layers
- Lemon Curd
- Lemon cream cheese frosting
- Strawberry cream cheese frosting
- Strawberries and lemons to garnish if desired
- Put 1 cake layer on a platter or cake board
- Pipe a ring around outer edge of the cake (creating a dam)
- Spread the lemon curd on top
- Top with the second cake layer and press down gently and repeat the steps.
- Frost entire cake with the Lemon and strawberry frostings and refrigerate.
- After cake is chilled you can make a ganache and drip it down the sides of the cake (optional)
- Top with strawberries and lemons if desired
- Serve immediately or refrigerate.