- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 TBL vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoons lemon zest
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
Make the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Line a 12-cup (or 6 cup jumbo) muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Using a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together on medium-high speed in a large bowl until creamed, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Add eggs and vanilla and almond extract, then beat on medium-high speed until combined, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, start the mixer on low speed, then slowly add the milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Once combined, stop the mixer. Do not overmix this batter.
- Spoon batter evenly into 12 cupcake liners, filling them about 2/3 full. Bake for about 18-22 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the middle will come out clean when they’re done.
Filling: Raspberry Jam
Lemon cream cheese frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 stick butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar (depending on desired consistency)
- 2-4 tablespoons freshly squeeze lemon juice (depending on desired consistency
Make the frosting:
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese, butter and lemon zest on medium-high speed until very light, creamy, and smooth.
On low speed gradually add in the sugar then the lemon juice and beat until creamy and smooth.
You can add more powdered sugar or more lemon juice depending on if you want the frosting thicker or thinner.
- Frost cooled cupcakes and fill with raspberry jam and frost with with lemon buttercream. Top with lemon bar. i also drizzled some thinned out raspberry jam on top to give it a little more color and depth of flavor.
Lemon Bar Recipe:
1 cup (2 sticks) melted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 Tablespoons flour
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 4 lemons)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F grease or spray down a 9X13 pan
- Make the crust: Mix the melted butter, sugar, extracts, and salt together in a medium bowl. Add the flour and stir to completely combine. The dough will be thick. Press firmly into prepared pan, making sure the layer of crust is nice and even. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until the edges are browned. Remove from the oven and set aside
- Make the filling: Combine sugar and flour together in a large bowl. Add the eggs and lemon juice and whisk until completely combined.
- Pour filling over warm crust. Bake the bars for 22-26 minutes or until the center is relatively set and no longer jiggles. Chill bars in the refrigerator.
- Once fully chilled cut up bars and top cupcakes.