Not sure if you’ve noticed lately, but Green Tea Matcha has been taking over the drink world. A friend of mine loves this drink and asked if I could use it as inspiration for her birthday. I was able to use this recipe to make the cake as well as cup cakes.
Green Tea Matcha Cake
- 1 c. (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 3 TBL matcha powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 tbsp. water
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour 3 6″ cake pans and line with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Separate egg yolks and egg whites. Add egg yolks to bowl with butter and sugar and beat until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cornstarch, and matcha powder. Slowly fold flour mixture into bowl with butter and sugar until completely combined, adding 2 tablespoons water too loosen, if necessary.
- In another medium bowl using a hand mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form, 3 to 4 minutes. Fold 1/4 of the egg whites into batter, then fold remaining egg whites into batter.
- Divide mixture between prepared pans and bake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean (about 20 minutes) Let cool completely.
Pistachio Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 3 TBL Pistachio instant pudding mix
- 8 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups (4 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 TBL vanilla
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2-4 TBL heavy cream
- 6-7 cups powdered sugar
Whip together the cream cheese, butter and vanilla and almond extract until creamy. Gradually beat in dry pudding mix and powdered sugar and add 1 TBL of heavy cream at a time until frosting reaches spread or pipping consistency.
Place first cake on serving stand or cake board and top with a layer of frosting. Place second layer on and top with another layer of frosting, then add the final cake on top and spread remaining frosting all over. I garnished the cake with crushed pistachios and faux flowers.