Some of my favorite flavor combinations are raspberries and chocolate and strawberries and chocolate. Since I’m an all or nothing kind of gal I decided to combine the two and I came up with a delicious double berry chocolate cake recipe that I’m sure you will absolutely love.
- 2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 4 TBL cocoa
- 1 stick of butter
- 6 TBL milk
- 1 TBL vanilla
- 5-7 cups powdered sugar
Cake – Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour 3 6 inch cake pans; set aside.
In an electric mixer slowly sift together flour, sugar, soda, salt and cocoa. Add oil and combine till its forms a mixture like wet sand. Then add buttermilk, eggs and vanilla and combine thoroughly. then slowly add in the hot water and mix till combined. Disburse between pans and bake for 20-25 mins or until a tooth pick comes out clean when iserted.
Traditional chocolate buttercream recipe
- 4 sticks of butter
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 TBL vanilla
- 4-8 TBL milk
- 1 bag powdered sugar
Cream together butter, cocoa and vanilla, then slowly add powdered sugar in alternating with milk. beat until fluffy and a nice spreadable consistency
Double Berry filling
- 2 cups frozen (you could use fresh) strawberries
- 2 cups frozen (you could use fresh) raspberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 TBL cornstarch
- 2 TBL lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water (divided)
- Place berries in a saucepan with, sugar and lemon juice and half the water.
- Heat on low to medium until sugar is dissolved. …
- In a separate small bowl – add the cornstarch to the remaining water and mix well
- Cook on low -the mixture will thicken and looks glossy.
- Allow cakes to fully cool, preferably in the freezer for at least 1 hour. This will allow them to set and be much easier to work with.
- Lay your first cake layer onto a cake stand or board and spread the filling on top.
- Repeat steps with the remaining layers
- frost cake with remaining frosting
- top the cake with either remaining filling and berries or use fresh berries and flowers to top the cake.
I always enjoy teaming up with my friend Cara on these projects. I hope they continue to inspire you to Live Beautahfully wherever you call home.