I’ve been baking since I was old enough to hold a whisk. I started experimenting with recipes as a teenager and found a passion for baking. I attended culinary school and got to sharpen my skills in a few bakeries. That passion has been translated into my blog and Instagram account and putting smiles on the faces of my friends and family. Recently Associated Foods asked me to test out their “Food Club” products. Food Club is a national brand equivalent and the ask was to put them to the test and see if they performed to my standards.
I’m happy to report that not only did the products perform well for taste and texture, my dollars stretched a little further as well. Bottom line, I didn’t feel as though I had to sacrifice quality for cost. I got to have my cake and eat it too and if you follow the recipe below, you can too!
The Test: Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Cake
I typically make all my cakes from scratch, but to really put the products to the test I decided to use the Dark Chocolate Deluxe Cake Mix. One thing that was non-negotiable was homemade butter cream frosting. For this I used the Confectioners sugar, Cocoa and butter from Food Club. To finish the look I decorated the cake with drips made from caramel candies, jumbo marshmallows and Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramels.
Now I couldn’t have all that cake with nothing to drink, so I decided to make Hot Cocoa topped with caramel from the melted candies and decorated the mugs using the mini-marshmallows. For an extra kick of caramel, I plopped a couple of the Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramels at the bottom of the mugs before filling them allowing them to melt and infuse the cocoa with the sea salt and caramel flavors.
As you can see from the pictures, everything turned out amazing! The cake was rich and moist, the homemade frosting turned out exactly like it always does and the caramel behaved itself, which doesn’t always happen.
Food Club is a National brand equivalent, when you shop Food Club you’re saving money! They also offer a double your money back guarantee so if you don’t like it… simply return it. I love this brand because it is carried in practically any grocery store near me. To find your nearest store that carries Food Club brand products just visit foodclubsavings.com You can visit any participating Associated Food Retailer to enter to win a California Theme Park getaway when you buy any Food Club product now through December 21!
If these photos made you drool, check out more from Cara at CatcherInTheRyePhotography
As always, I hope this post inspires you to live beautahfully wherever you call home!
Dark Chocolate Cake:
- Easy part – Follow instructions on the cake mix
- Tip: Make sure to grease and flour 3 8-inch round cake pans
- Food Club Marshmallow cream
Butter Cream Frosting:
- 4 sticks butter, nearly at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Cocoa powder
- 1 tbl vanilla extract
- 1 bag of powdered sugar
- 4 tbl heavy cream
1. In an electric mixer, cream the butter and cocoa powder until light and fluffy
2. Slowly add powdered sugar and vanilla until all is combined
3. Add heavy cream 1 tbl at a time until the frosting is light and fluffy (nice spreadable consistency)
- Caramel dipped Marshmallows
- Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel Candies
- Caramel Drip
1. In a microwave safe bowl, melt 3 bags of caramel cubed candies with 5 tbl of heavy cream
2. Pour into a squeeze bottle and apply to the top rim of the cake, allowing the caramel to drip down the sides
- Allow cakes to fully cool, preferably in the freezer for at least 1 hour. This will allow them to set and be much easier to work with.
- Lay your first cake layer onto a cake stand or board and spread the marshmallow cream on top
- Repeat steps with the remaining layers
- frost cake with chocolate buttercream
- drip the caramel sauce along the outer top rim of the cake
- line the salted caramel candies along the bottom
- top with rosettes of chocolate buttercream and the caramel dipped marshmallows